THE SYNAGOGUE

The magnificent Synagogue of Vercelli, a temple in Arabesque style located in the heart of the ancient ghetto of the Jewish community, was designed by Marco Treves and built in 1878. It was the first synagogue constructed in Italy after the emancipation of Jews declared by king Carlo Alberto in 1848. Numerous Vercelli artists were involved in the decoration of the temple, including the Bona brothers for the masonry work, the painter Carlo Costa, and the sculptors Ercole Villa and Michele Fornari for the polychrome stained-glass windows.